The International Literacy Association (ILA) is seeking association professionals to fill open positions on the ILA Board of Directors to help lead the Association in fulfilling its mission and purpose. This annual call offers four positions to be filled: Vice President and three at-large Directors.
We strongly encourage all of our colleagues to either apply themselves, or nominate a fellow professional to serve on the board. We especially seek nominations of members who demonstrate and represent every level of leadership in the profession, the ability to think strategically, and true dedication to the mission and purpose of ILA. A specific responsibility includes oversight of ILA’s new strategic direction as it transitions to becoming the International Literacy Association.
ILA values and seeks diverse leadership as defined by race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, appearance, geographic location and professional level. We seek leaders from every level within our network.
Nominations must be received no later than January 15, 2017 for consideration.
ILA has identified a number of desired attributes that will be part of the selection process for new Board members. Applicants should possess:
- Demonstrated leadership commitment and involvement with ILA and the nonprofit community. Examples include but are not limited to service on ILA committees, in our councils, provincials or affiliates, on task forces, and volunteer service in other non-ILA nonprofits.
- Relevant expertise in the disciplines of organizational management. Examples include but are not limited to finance, fundraising, international and strategic alliances.
- Commitment to participate in 3-4 regular board meetings and 2-3 semi-regular special meetings of the board a year.
- Positive leadership attributes, emotional intelligence, ability to work collaboratively and engage in appropriate debate and discussion when needed, and visionary and strategic drive.
- Demonstrated ability to think innovatively and entrepreneurially, to engage future focus, and to assess and activate informed risk-taking.
- Thank you in advance for taking an active role in this year’s nomination process. A dedicated, competent and skillful Board of Directors will ensure the future success of ILA transforming lives through literacy.