In preparing the proposal, please follow these guidelines: Do not include the applicant’s name, institutional affiliation, or any other personal information that will identify the applicant on any part of the application other than the Cover Sheet (provided in the guidelines). This will ensure a blind review of all proposals. The completed Cover Sheet should be sent as a separate document from your proposal. Incomplete proposals, late proposals, or proposals not in compliance with the guidelines will not be eligible.
Description of Application Elements
1. Cover Sheet. Complete all items on the cover sheet.2. The Curriculum Unit Template must include: Unit overview, Core Literacy Skills and Strategies, Common Core Project, Common Core State Standards alignment, Student content, Collaborative elements, Multimedia elements, Lesson Design, and Assessments.
Review Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
Applications will be reviewed by members of the International Reading Association IRA Classroom Teacher Awards Committee.
- A blind review will be conducted and each application will be reviewed by three persons.
- Decisions will be based on the quality of the application, relevance to the award’s intent, and the quality of supporting materials.
- The award will be made only in those years when the committee concludes there is an application of high quality.
- Recommendations for the award will be made to IRA’s Board of Directors for final approval.
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome and provided with copies of reviews in March 2015.
- Recipient of award is encouraged to submit an article for publication in an IRA journal or submit a proposal for presentation at an IRA annual convention.