The purpose of this fund is to assist in the funding of literacy projects and in the professional development of literacy educators. This fund, made possible by voluntary contributions of International Literacy Association members, offers annual one-time grants to ILA members and affiliate/council groups from developing countries who seek support for a literacy project in their own countries. The number of grants (each up toUS$2,500.00) will be determined by the amount of donations made to this fund as of June 30 each year.
This grant is suspended until further notice pending available funding.
Criteria and conditions for the grant are as follows:
1. The applicant must reside in the developing country for which the grant is sought, must be an ILA member and an active member of the ILA affiliate/council in his/her country.
2. The applicant submits a project plan identifying how the funds will be used to promote literacy; how the funds will benefit their affiliate/council, community, and/or ILA; more specifically, how the funds could be used, for instance, to help children/adults/females learn to read.
3. The applicant agrees to promote the goals of the INTERNATIONAL LITERACY ASSOCIATION and indicates how this support will be manifested (how additional members will be gained, etc.).
4. The application must be submitted by an ILA Council or Affiliate as an entity. Individual ILA members are not eligible to apply independently.
5. Successful applicants agree to submit a written report to ILA describing how the funds were used; how the funds benefited their affiliate/council/community, ILA, etc.; and how the funds might have been more appropriately used (if applicable).
June 30 Postmark Deadline for Applications
August 30 Committee deadline for Review of Applications
October 1 Nominee Recommendation to the ILA Board of Directors
October 30 Notification of all Persons Who Submitted Applications
November Grant Awarded