Poster Presentation Guidelines
Brain Injury Alliance of New Jersey
2024 Annual Professional Seminar
May 1, 2024
The Palace at Somerset Park
The Brain Injury Alliance of New Jersey (BIANJ) is the primary provider of information, education, advocacy, prevention strategies and support services for people with brain injury and their families in New Jersey.
BIANJ Annual Seminar:
The Annual Professional Seminar offers an educational and networking opportunity for professionals to gain knowledge of the latest research, best practices and effective strategies for working with individuals affected by brain injury. The knowledge level of the audience varies, including both new and experienced professionals.
The Seminar is a full day conference consisting of a keynote presentation followed by three workshop blocks with three concurrent presentations in each block. Breakfast and lunch will be served. Organization exhibitors and student poster presentations will also be included. The 2024 Seminar will be an in-person event.
Call for Proposals:
We invite you to submit a proposal for a poster at the BIANJ 42nd Annual Professional Seminar. Posters typically focus on research, prevention, treatment, rehabilitation and public health issues related to individuals affected by brain injury. Posters should contribute to participants’ knowledge base, understanding of best practices and strategies that can be used in their work. Please limit proposal abstracts to 300 words.
Accepted posters will be displayed at the 2024 BIANJ Annual Professional Seminar on Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at The palace at Somerset Park, Somerset, NJ. Easels and posterboard/backing will be provided by BIANJ. BIANJ is not responsible for printing the poster or ensuring its presence at the Seminar.
One poster author is required to be in attendance to present their poster and will receive free registration to attend the seminar. All other authors are welcome and encouraged to attend at the student rate of $60.
Three types of research are listed below along with the components required for each.
- Original Research: Title, Purpose/Hypothesis, Subjects, Materials/Methods, Results, Conclusions, Clinical Relevance, References in current APA format (4 to 6 references).
- Case Report: Title, Background/Purpose, Case description, Outcomes, Discussion, References in current APA format (4 to 6 references).
- Special Interest: Title, Background/purpose, Description of Clinical Importance or Findings, Conclusions, References in current APA format (4 to 6 references).
In addition to the research being presented, all posters must contain:
- The title, author and institution should be displayed across the top.
- The names of all authors involved in the research project and preparation of the poster.
- Display at least one email address as any questions or comments from seminar attendees will be directed to that email address for response.
- If applicable, the name of the institution supporting this research project.
- The inclusion of acknowledgements for funding, institutional support, etc. when applicable. Logos for institutional support are permitted.
- The poster must be oriented to the “landscape” layout, no larger than 3 feet high by 4 feet wide (required).
- Ensure that all tables, figures, etc. are simple and not “cluttered”.
- Use strong visual contrast, consistency of font, and muted colors (avoid red/green when possible), to ensure that the poster is easy to read and visually appealing.
- Avoid long paragraphs and blocks of text
- Use bullet points to break up the text
- Include all relevant material in a coherent manner so your information is understood without your input. Focus on important points while limiting detail, as not to overwhelm your audience.
- Font size guidelines:
- Title: 80-96 point
- Headers: 36-48 point
- Body: 24-36 point
All proposals are due by Monday, January 29, 2024. Your project does not need to be completed upon abstract submission but must be completed prior to the poster presentation itself. You will be notified at least one month before the seminar if your poster has been accepted.
Posters are to be submitted as PDFs (no other format will be accepted) and emailed to email@example.com. The naming structure for all files should be: LeadAuthorLastName_FacultyAdvisorLastName_BIANJ2024, followed by “poster”.
Posters that involve the sale of professional services or equipment will not be accepted.