About Learners @ Home
• The highlight of this program is an opportunity for our students to regualrly work with our coaches through screen shairing on zoom. We have a ciriculem to lead them through in these lessons and we will also play chess with them and coach them through games and puzzles!
• This program is a way for us to continue our model of having students work through chess exercises ("chess-ercises") and earn rewarding and fun chess prizes for doing so.
• Since a lot of the learning in this new program is mostly self directed, we are expanding our prize offerings.
• Students will work through a progressively more complicated series of interactive chess puzzles and technique exercises, earning points as they go.
• Students can use these points to order prizes, which will be available for pick up on a select few days this coming Summer.
• This is a great opportunity for students to set some long term learning and achievement goals and get some fun rewards for doing so.
• After you register, you will receive an email with links to the entire series of "chess-ercises" in the Learners @ Home Program. Many of these from from our booklets that we used already and many more expand on the booklets and are interactive chess activities on the lichess platform (no lichess account required)
• The first activity is the chess coordinate challenge, which is great fun and can also help student familiarize themselves with using chess notation. They will need this, as they will need to report their answers to booklet puzzles using chess notation in an excel document that you will be able to download.
• Students work through booklet puzzles and interactive online puzzles and exercises, retrying as often as necessary.
• Student may also earn points for playing chess online and there is a report form for you all to fill out so that they can earn those points.
• Students may also schedule Zoom coaching sessions with Learners Chess Coaches to help them with puzzles, techniques, live chess playing on the Internet, and/or reviewing games that have already been played.
• Parents, you will need to attest to students' mastery of each skill level in provided report forms.
• We will also select many student reports that come in for a "comprehension check" and our coaches will schedule zoom meetings to check student comprehension of the puzzles.
• Point totals will be tracked, compiled, and published for each student.
• When students have earned enough points, they may place an order for any prize they can afford with their points from Learners' list of prizes.