The International Literacy Association (ILA) William S. Gray Citation of Merit is a nonmonetary award reserved for those ILA members who have made outstanding contributions to multiple facets of literacy development—research, theory, and practice. It is the highest individual honor awarded by ILA.
- Open date: Rolling
- Deadline: Though submissions are accepted on a rolling basis, the cutoff for the 2022 awards cycle is March 15, 2022. (Note: All submissions received after this date will be held for consideration the following award year)
- Applicants are notified of the results via email by mid-June.
- Nominees must have current ILA membership.
- Nominees must have made outstanding contributions in a leadership role in the field of literacy.
- Nominees must be notable influences through instruction, presentations, publications, research, and media (e.g., podcasts, webinars, blogs, videos) on many or all the following: students, teachers, colleagues, literacy professionals, children, and families and caregivers.
- Nominees must have made outstanding contributions of a highly original kind in the field of literacy theory.
- Nominees must have made outstanding contributions to literacy practice.
- Nominees must have produced definitive material or undertaken important restructuring of existing material in given field.
- Nominees must have made outstanding contributions from the point of view of communication—brilliant pedagogy in both print and digital formats.
- Nominees must have shown superior service in several important capacities in literacy (e.g., as a teacher, scholar, researcher, literacy professional, psychologist, linguist, author, administrator, counselor, or clinician)
To become an ILA member or renew your membership, please contact ILA Customer Service at 800.336.7323, 302.731.1600, or email@example.com.
To join or renew online, please visit literacyworldwide.org/membership