Community Action is a week-long orientation program for the first-year class sponsored by the Pace Center for Civic Engagement. CA seeks to promote an ethic of meaningful service among undergraduates, foster productive collaboration between the University and surrounding communities, and engage all participants in both academic and interpersonal dialogue.
CA fosters a positive and supportive environment where incoming students have the opportunity to:
Connect with other students and establish friendships
Discover new places, people, and topics
Act through meaningful service and conversations
and have Fun!
Strong student leadership is a core element of the CA program and is vital in helping our incoming students have a positive and meaningful service experience during their week.
There are several ways to be a part of the CA Leadership Team:
During the week of CA, the first-year students are guided and mentored by their CA Leaders, who are well-trained and very enthusiastic current students. CA Leaders have the opportunity to positively shape the experience of incoming first-year students by facilitating community building activities, serving as liaisons with community partners and projects, and carrying out the daily schedule in order to ensure the safety and security of all participants. In addition, during the week and beyond, CA Leaders provide support, advice, and guidance to the participants to help them integrate into Princeton and the community. Each CA group is comprised of 10-13 first-year students and 2 CA Leaders.
CA Support Team
A strong support system is needed to ensure that everything goes smoothly during CA.
The CA Regional Support team members focus on supporting the CA Fellows & Leaders within the regions and are on site. CA Regional Support works in pairs, examples of some tasks may include assisting with the delivery of supplies, providing backup support for leader groups, returning a student to campus, reporting back to CA staff for updates, etc. CA Regional Support must be or willing to become University Driver Certified as driving is a requirement of the role.
Being a part of the CA Leadership Team offers the following:
- Early move-in to your housing assignment for the fall semester
- Meals during training and programming (includes the week of CA)
- Student leadership experience
- Welcoming the Princeton class of 2024!
CA 2020 Timeline
- CA Leadership Team Spring Meeting: Delayed; Virtual date TBD
- CA Leadership Team Move-In & Kick-off Meeting: Tuesday, August 18
- CA Leadership Team Training, Prep & Kick-off: Wednesday, August 19 - Sunday, August 23
- CA Week: Monday, August 24 - Thursday, August 27
- CA Leadership Team Debriefs (exact date/time to be scheduled by your CA Fellow): Saturday, August 29 - Tuesday, September 1
- Member of Princeton’s Class of 2021, 2022, 2023
- Must be in good standing with the University
- Available for and attend all training, meeting and program dates (listed above)
- Submit a completed application
If you have any questions about the application or process, please contact Maggie Hussar, CA Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org